Friday, March 10, 2017

Mission Log - February 22, 2017 - T4, W1 - Pamphlet Lessons, English Lessons, and Bangs

Hola from El Paso!



Wow, what a week!  We had a lesson with Nelli using the new training from the AP's.  We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ using the pamphlet's pictures.  We told her, "we're going to just skim through, but we want you to go back and read it when we leave!"  She committed.  She loved the picture of Jesus Christ's baptism.  "How beautiful!"  she said.  When we got to the picture of the people taking the Sacrament, she committed to come to church without us even asking her! :)  She not only was way more responsive and open with us, she kept giving herself commitments.  She opened up the Book of Mormon and pointed to the picture of Alma baptizing in the Waters of Mormon.  She said she really liked it and she said she would read the associated chapters, underneath the picture. :)  Super awesome!

Also, had an amazing miracle!  So a sister in our ward was a bit upset because she didn't pass her citizenship test, because of her English.  We offered to come teach her English.  As we pulled in, I realized there was a slight problem: I don't know how to teach someone english!!  I barely know how to teach myself Spanish!  I began to freak out.  Walking up to the gate: what did we sign up for?! I can't teach this woman English! What if I teach her wrong? what if I make her feel dumb? what if she leaves the church because we STINK at teaching english? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

She opens the door and this calm washes over me, whoosh.  We walk in and I pull out my Spanish prayer cheat-sheet.  We read it with her, and as we do, I could almost hear the Holy Ghost saying,  Hermana Smurthwaite, be at peace.  You, Maria Mendoza, be at peace.  I am the master teacher.  It was a sacred experience I will never forget.  Maria ended the lesson with a prayer - in English!

The Church is true.  The Book is Blue.  Love you all.
Hermana Smurthwaite


On a lighter note . . .



THIS happened. :)



What do you think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment