Monday, February 26, 2018

Mission Log - February 26, 2018 - The Final Hours, Part 5 - Humble Advice to Potential Missionaries

Buenos Dias from Albuquerque!



This Sunday, we were asked to present the Sunday School lesson on the "gifts of the Spirit."  So we found all these gift bags in the closet and put slips of paper in them with the "gifts" and the coordinating scriptures! 😄

For my second-to-last email, I would like to offer my humble advice to potential full-time missionaries of all ages based on what I have learned during the course of my mission:

  1. Love your companions.  To grit one's teeth and say, "I'll just 'endure to the end' of this companionship," is a recipe for misery and a great stumbling block to the work.  Just be happy - the happiest times of my mission were not the easiest; they were the times I tried my hardest to treat my companion with respect and humility.
  2. "Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."  Yes, you'll have companions or you'll see other missionaries being less than obedient.  Before breathing out fire and damnation upon them, remember the golden rule, give them the benefit of the doubt and, in a Spirit of love, talk to them in private to address the issue.  Love is the key.
  3. It'll be hard.  This is not a 1.5 or 2-year EFY.  You won't be spiritually pumped 24/7.  Expect hard days, and embrace the opportunity to be rejected, for you represent the Savior.  If He asked, you would be willing to do anything, not so?
  4. LEAVE ROOM in your suitcase!  Especially if serving state-side.  Trust me, you will collect a ton of stuff, and it's simpler not to have to weed out possessions all in a panic when you receive a call saying you're being transferred and you have 2-3 days to pack.
  5. Understand how food works if you go foreign.  It took me just a few weeks to figure out that Hispanic food doesn't cook in the flavor, like the food I grew up with.  They use salt, chile, limon, and fresh vegetables to garnish and liven up their meals.  In other countries, it may be different.  Learn how the people you serve eat, and you'll have less trouble adjusting to the cuisine.
  6. JOURNAL AS YOU GO.  Back writing is so time-consuming - if writing a page in a literal journal is going to be impossible for you, figure something out that works for you.  For example, take a voice recorder or a video camera and record yourself every night.  Or purchase a rather large calendar and write a little something on each square.  Or save a section on your daily planning page to jot down the tender mercies.  Or take copious pictures.  Just make sure it gets done!
  7. First impressions are important.  Remember that as you knock doors, this could be that person's first impression of the Church.  Remember who you represent - stand up straight, smile, and leave people with the impression that this message will change their life because it will!
  8. Be brave.  Talking to strangers (especially after chasing them down) can be hard!  But after the first 15 seconds, it gets way easier.  Remember the Lord promised: "I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."  Why fear rejection when such a blessing is promised to us?
  9. Pray like you mean it.  The morning and nights of my mission have become my personal interview time with Heavenly Father.  If you can't focus early in the morning or late at night, this might help: Take 5 deep breaths, counting them on your fingers, then imagine entering a huge throne room and imagine Heavenly Father sitting there and saying something like, "My daughter, I've been waiting for you.  What do you have to tell me?"

Anywho. Hope you all enjoy!

Lots of Love,
Hermana Smurthwaite

No comments:

Post a Comment