Sunday, December 31, 2017

Mission Log - December 18, 2017 - T11, W1 - Temple Baptisms and Gratitude Conquers Pride


Dear loved ones,

What.  A.  WEEK!



This week, we had the opportunity to go to the Temple to do baptisms for the dead with one of the recent converts in the branch!  Norma Saenz-Rico, who recently celebrated her 89th birthday, asked​ that we accompany her because she can't actually do baptisms - she can't be immersed in water.  But she can do confirmations!  We were overjoyed to help her do the work for her ancestors.

There was a very sweet spirit in the temple.  The youth from Volcano Cliffs ward, the English ward we share the building with, happened to have a temple trip that very night!  We had the unique opportunity to see Fabian, the only young man in our branch, enter the temple for the first time! 

In addition to the above mentioned, we saw many miracles this week!  We finally got in contact with Walter Guerrero, a less-active man in our ward.  When he answered the door, I recognized him!  I knew his parents, the Guerreros, from 12th ward.  Almost a year ago, I had met Walter at a Christmas party at their house!  We talked to him, and not only is he planning on returning to activity, he's excited about his calling as a ward missionary and asked if he could come to lessons with us!

We saw the Perez family again and shared with them the Family: a Proclamation to the World.  We invited them to do family prayer every night and we're seeing a lot of progress with them!

Something I learned in a penetrating way this week was that Gratitude is the balm for stung pride.  As many may know, I'm prideful - I've been trying to work on having more humility, and it seems that whenever I get comfortable, another test comes along. :)  I have added minutes to my prayers of just thanking Heavenly Father for blessings - and although my pride has been hurt many times over the past week, instead of defending myself or talking back, I have "experimented on the word" if you will, and did the exact OPPOSITE of what I felt like doing.  For example, I apologize when I feel more like justifying - I've really been trying to stay positive when I felt like being bitter.  And you know what?  IT WORKED!  I felt the Spirit comfort me and give me a spiritual back-pat.  Somehow, I can be told something over and over, and yet I re-learn it once I try it for myself.

It's the same with anything.  As it says in John 7:17, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of his doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  Try it, and you'll see!  Try reading the Book of Mormon - try praying - try going to church every week - try paying tithing - "and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10)

Love,
Hermana Smurthwaite

No comments:

Post a Comment